Friday, March 9, 2012

On ne po vlay accepte Jesus Christ (we have to want to accept Jesus Christ)



MA FAMILLE! SO MUCH TO TELL YOU AND SO LITTLE TIME!



First off - Amber, snow in March?! That's insane! Mom, I like that you're doing water aerobics. I remember that swimming days at camp were the ones that wore me out the most.



I guess I'll start off with the funny stuff first:


So, a few weeks back, Sister Dayton and I were out doing our street contacting around 6:30 at night. At that time, it's already dark, and the streets are mostly deserted. We're walking back up, about to go in for weekly planning, when a green van SCREECHED to a halt, and the person driving starts yelling a question at us. Now, this happens all the time as buses are going down and ask us if we want a ride. So, I stop, turn, and look at the man who is yelling. He's yelling, "DO Y'ALL WANT TO GO TO A BIBLE-BELIEVING CHURCH?" It's dark, so I stare into the van and, to my surprise, it's full of white people! It was SO RANDOM, and I'm like, "No...we're fine..." and then they drove away.

In other news, church was AWESOME this week. I love fast and testimony here. It's always so uplifting and spiritual. This week, Sister Dayton and I were asked to teach Relief Society using the 1st Presidency Message for this month. Now, I've only ever taught Relief Society once before, during my freshman year at BYU. In that lesson, I instituted a nap time and I incorporated Single Ladies. Thankfully, this past lesson was bereft of those elements, haha. We started off by listing ALL the social issues that are facing the world today, then we went over what the prophets and apostles have asked us to do. Then, we matched up the social issues with the counsel of the prophets, showing how, as we follow God's servants, we avoid much of the pain and sorrows that plague us today. I definitely received a testimony boost that Thomas S. Monson is called of God :)


So, on Friday morning, Sister Dayton and I went to visit a woman named Marcia (more emphasis on the Mar than the cia). I had taught her during my first transfer, but she was getting married and then transfers happened, so we lost touch. We went back to visit her this week, and she was very accepting. I asked her what she remembered about what we had taught before and she said that she remembered that we'd asked her to pray, which is great because that's one of the biggest commitments! She has such a sincere desire to learn about God and try things out. She came to Church this week! I was so happy to see her there. She's read almost all the introductory things in the Book of Mormon and is in 1 Nephi 3!


AND as I said last week, President Gamiette came to St. Lucia! He gave the members in the branch a great fireside about what our membership in the Church means, the law of chastity, and home/visiting teaching. When he was talking about the Law of Chastity, he showed this new Mormon Message they've made, that was done by RSAnimate! They did that video of education reform that I loooooove.


Oh yeah, pictures! The first is of me with Sister Noel! The second is of Sister Dayton with Sister Noel! Sister Noel is awesome.


Last little story before I sign off. Sister Noel has a daughter who has been coming to church for a little bit. During sacrament meeting, Sister Noel whispers to me, "My daughter wants to bear her testimony, but I told her she can't because she's not a member." I was like, "what, of course she can do it." Her daughter got up and bore the sweetest testimony. Oh my goodness. It was absolutely wonderful. The gospel does change people.


Ah family, I love you all so much. Thanks for your emails this week! It's so strange - I've been in Vieux Fort for 6 months, and I can't imagine serving, or wanting to serve, anywhere else. My ministerial certificate expires on March 5, meaning today, I have less than a year left. THAT'S CRAZY. I don't often think about it, but it is very, very strange.


I love you!


Sister Brisson

CURRENT ADDRESS INFO:


You can email me at rachel.brisson@myldsmail.net (because I can receive but cannot respond to your emails, please include your mailing address so I can write you back!). You can also continuing using www.DearElder.com for the cost of a stamp, or you can write me at the mission office address:

Sister Rachel Anne Brisson
West Indies Mission
PO Bag 543
Valsayn
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago

So, you asked for my new address. Here it is, but be aware that letters can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get here. Please write me emails - I can print them out, so it doesn't eat into my internet time at all. If you want to use it, here it is:

PO Box 923
Gablewoods Mall South
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia 00124

You can also send packages to this address, but it's the same deal. DHL and FedEx are the fastest, but you have to have a number. Since this goes up on the blog, I'll send the number to Marcia, and you can ask her for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment