Monday, February 27, 2012

So...since I stopped putting sunscreen on my face, my glasses tan has become much more pronounced​...

Family!

Oh my goodness. This week. Let's just say, a ton of funny and unrelated things happened.

-I had a dream that the musician Little Ricky asked me to prom. And the other half of my dream was me deciding if I wanted to go to prom with him or not.
-On Wednesday, it was St. Lucia's Independence Day! Prince Edward flew in from England on that Tuesday to be present for it. As we were driving down from Castries, his motorcade went by! Wooo!
-On Wednesday, Sister Dayton and I were driving out of Vieux Fort...WHEN ROLLING THUNDER: SAINT LUCIA STYLE passed us by. They were taking up 1 1/2 lanes of a two lane road...so we had to slow down and let them pass by and kind of get close to the edge of the road...what on earth? The best one was this little old man who wore a giant helmet while riding his motorcycle.
-The Elders are teaching the former bassist for Led Zeppelin. His name is Aagee Simpson. It's legitimate.
-I had stingray for the first time ever on Sunday! IT WAS SO GOOD.
-One of our investigators takes care of her aunt, who is quite old and senile. She's about 82 I believe. So, whenever we come over, we always talk to her aunt in Patwa at the beginning and end of the lesson. This week, I was shaking her hand and then said, "do you want to dance?" and so we start dancing a little and her aunt starts SINGING this song and doing the cutest dance ever. It was so precious!

So, sometimes when we're street contacting, my companion and I "split up" for like two seconds if we run into two or more people/if I'm on the phone. I don't know why, but my companion always gets the argumentative ones. So, the other day, I'm making a call and she goes to contact this man. By the time I'm off the phone, I join them in the conversation and the first thing I hear the man saying "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PROPHETS TODAY" and poor Sister Dayton is like "Uhh...." So, I'm like, "well sir, we could come by and talk about it with you sometime..." Then, the other day, we ran into two men on the street, so I start talking to one while she takes the other. The guy I'm talking to doesn't seem that interested in our message ("I'm looking for a wife." "That's great.") but Sister Dayton is talking to her guy FOREVER. He is wearing this shirt that has all these Dart Vaders on it, but their helmets are all different neon colors. He's telling her "I don't need to go to church...I can worship God in my own way..." And right when we leaves he's like "I'm a prince." Mwe pas sauve i ca de (I don't know what he said).

Anyways, President Gamiette is coming this week to visit Saint Lucia! I am so excited for the fireside he'll be doing for our members here. It's so strange to think that he won't be my mission president forever - he finishes his mission in...July or June I believe. This is the last time he'll be doing a fireside here, so it should be a special experience.

Okay, so a few weeks back, Sister Dayton and I were going to go out tracting, but it started raining. When it starts raining, EVERYONE disappears from the streets, so it's hard to talk to anyone because if you try, they're just like "It's raining WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?" So, it squashed our morning plans. The only thing that I could think of doing was contacting a referral we got from one of our investigators. We head over there and when we get there, the guy is just like "yeah, come on in." They are a great couple named Patrick and Waverly. We had a lesson with them last Monday night where we reviewed a little about the Restoration and we asked Waverly if she'd ever felt like God had answered her prayers. She said, "Yeah. On Sunday, I was thinking that sometimes it's good to find a church, and then you showed up on that Tuesday." AWHHHHHH it warmed my heart. They are so kind. We are going to see them again tonight.

We are also working with a part-member family! The children are members, but the parents aren't. Barbara, the mother, is a champ and loves reading the Book of Mormon. She always says how it leaves "such a joy" in her heart. She is all the way in 2 Nephi 4.

AND we also met with a woman named Julie this week! She reminds me of Hogarth Hughs' mom in The Iron Giant. She is Jose's friend and she let us know that he's fine and should be coming back to St. Lucia sometime soon. We were sitting down with her talking about her views on life and she talked a lot about friendship/her friendships and why they're important to her. It made me so happy because I know that friendships are one of the prime ways that God shows His love for us.

I'm about out of time this week. Thanks Mom, Dad, Linda, Marcia, Spencer, and Amber for your emails this week! I love hearing from you. I love you all so much! Mom, I love how you're trying all these new things! Marcia, half your email didn't print earlier so I didn't get to read all of what you wrote me. BUT from the little part I did read (and will finish reading later) it sounds VERY FUNNY. Linda! A baby for Beyonce and Jay-Z?? Send me a picture! ALSO the other day our neighbor was playing that song from the video where the guy is running around playing the saxophone. DAD! I'm glad you like the frogs, haha. There are also lizards running around all the time. Spencer and Amber, I just wrote back to you individually. :)

LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLL!

Sister Rachel Brisson

PS - I've decided to stop doing shout-outs more or less BUT I have one request. DIANA SOLORZANO I know that you just joined LinkedIn and it hooks up with your email but make it stop sending me requests! PLEASE! PS your letter should be at the FLSR by now, you should ask your roommates!
And Diane, are you forwarding my emails to Liz and Lucy? I can't remember if we ever got that sorted out.

CURRENT ADDRESS INFO:

You can email me at rachel.brisson@myldsmail.net (because I can receive but cannot respond to your emails, please include your mailing address so I can write you back!). You can also continuing using www.DearElder.com for the cost of a stamp, or you can write me at the mission office address:

Sister Rachel Anne Brisson
West Indies Mission
PO Bag 543
Valsayn
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago

So, you asked for my new address. Here it is, but be aware that letters can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get here. Please write me emails - I can print them out, so it doesn't eat into my internet time at all. If you want to use it, here it is:

PO Box 923
Gablewoods Mall South
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia 00124

You can also send packages to this address, but it's the same deal. DHL and FedEx are the fastest, but you have to have a number. Since this goes up on the blog, I'll send the number to Marcia, and you can ask her for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment