Tuesday, February 21, 2012

SIX MONTHS OUT OF EVERY YEAR (and a half)

Date: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM


HELLO FAMILY!

First off - here are some pictures! The first one is an artsy shot of my last District before transfers. Elder Jensen is in the back and Elder Wilson is in the front. Sadly, Elder Jensen got transferred to Guyana! Meaning that I am the only remaining missionary who remembers the Gibsons. Elder Wilson (wearing the yellow tie) is still here and his new companion is Elder Jordan.

Next picture - chickens!

Next next picture - It started with just ONE frog being by our sink. And now we have THREE!

Next next next - Just another picture of my last district.

Haha Mom and Dad, YES I am staying here in Vieux Fort, same area, same same same. I am staying with Sister Dayton.

LINDA!!!!!!!!!!!! A BABY GIRL! AHHHHH! What's a baby? I am so excited to meet little United States of America Peterson. Goodness gracious. This also leads me into my next request of you, my family....:

SEND ME PICTURES PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Especially of my nieces and nephews! Marcia, that picture you sent me of Alisha and Evelyn was SOOOOO CUTE. Ah so adorable! Anyways, I would LOVE more pictures of all of you, since I didn't bring any with me.

Okay, so a few weeks ago, we came to district meeting with a sour sap/sop fruit to share with the Elders. We brought it in a pot with a little knife and some spoons. So, we start eating and are like, "Eh, maybe we should make it into juice." We don't have a blender, so we give the Elders our pot with the sour sop and our knife so they can go juice it at their apartment. A few days later, they stop by to give us our half of the sour sap and return our dish ware. I take the pot from Elder Jensen and ask, "Wait, where's our knife?" And he says "Uhhhh....well...it got...stolen." And I automatically blurted out, "WHAT?" So, he proceeds to tell us that he was waiting for the bus with our pot, sour sop, and knife. This lady was standing next to him and noticed it and said, "Give me that knife, I have to cut some breadfruit." SO, he hands her the knife, thinking that she's just borrowing it, but she TAKES IT and WALKS AWAY WITH IT. He didn't try to retrieve it. Now we only have one knife :(

Also, the other day, I was talking to a member on the phone, and asked her if she'd be willing to come to an appointment. She replies, "Oh, I can't. I'll be a little busy - my cousin just got married." And I say, "Oh! Married! That's great! Well, it's okay if you can't come -" BUT THEN I REALIZED WHAT SHE ACTUALLY SAID. "Wait, did you say that your cousin got BURIED or MARRIED?"

"Buried."

AHHHHHHHHH. I start laughing SO HARD but then apologizing profusely for my insensitivity but also laughing and eventually I just had to hang up.

This week, we went to visit one of our investigators (the one who sounds like James Earl Jones!). We recently tried to start teaching his wife as well. They hadn't really progressed, so we were planning on telling them to call us when they were interested. So, we head over there, and after a few minutes of waiting, the wife sits us down quickly, has her Book of Mormon and says, "Let's get started. Okay, I'm going to pray." We're both like "...okay..." SO, she prays and then automatically starts asking us all these questions about it. She had read from the Title Page to the "A Brief Explanation" and kept saying "This is really interesting. Really interesting." Haha, I was so happy! She set the commitment for herself to keep reading it. That's my favorite thing - when people say, with nary an invitation, that they're going to act. We're seeing them again this week!

We're also still working with Joanna. Sister Dayton and I are at a LOSS for what we can do for her. This past week, we visited her and asked her if she'd been praying about the Book of Mormon. She's been praying for understanding, but hadn't asked if it's true. So, I challenged her to pray with us right then and ask if it was true, since she hadn't done it on her own, despite our many many invitations. And...she wouldn't! We tried EVERYTHING to help her, like EVERYTHING, and so we told her we'd have another appointment with her in two weeks, but we'd stop by to see her in between.

Dad, you asked if any of our investigators are progressing towards baptism. And the answer is...not at this moment. Sister Dayton and I had a long planning session last night where we looked at what we can change in order to help people progress. Our biggest problem is getting those we are working with to come to church. Jose is still out of St. Lucia right now, and we hope he comes back soon.

Six months this week, family!

That's all for today. I love you all so much!

Love,

Sister Rachel Brisson





CURRENT ADDRESS INFO:

You can email me at rachel.brisson@myldsmail.net (because I can receive but cannot respond to your emails, please include your mailing address so I can write you back!). You can also continuing using www.DearElder.com for the cost of a stamp, or you can write me at the mission office address:

Sister Rachel Anne Brisson
West Indies Mission
PO Bag 543
Valsayn
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago

So, you asked for my new address. Here it is, but be aware that letters can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get here. Please write me emails - I can print them out, so it doesn't eat into my internet time at all. If you want to use it, here it is:

PO Box 923
Gablewoods Mall South
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia 00124

You can also send packages to this address, but it's the same deal. DHL and FedEx are the fastest, but you have to have a number. Since this goes up on the blog, I'll send the number to Marcia, and you can ask her for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment