Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Transfer Transfer Transfer Transfer

Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAMILY!

Since New Year's Eve and Day were on a Saturday and Sunday, most businesses and government offices took Monday and Tuesday off as holidays.  SO, I get to email you now!  Unfortunately, I quickly perused the emails you sent me, so I'm sorry if there's any dire questions that I neglect.  I printed them out, though!

ALISHA,  thank you for sending me the pictures!  AH SHE IS SO PRECIOUS!  I'm glad that you are both doing well and that everything worked out.  How are Evelyn and Wally liking her?

This past Saturday, I received my transfer call.  Here's how the conversation went:

Elder L'argent:  Sister Brisson, you are staying in Vieux Fort.
Me: Great!
Elder L'argent: And you will be training Sister Dayton.
Me: Oh okay.  Question: How many sisters are coming out this transfer?
Elder L'argent: Just this one.
Me:.....What?  WAIT, WHAT?

So...I'm going to be training the only one.  I don't know how else to say this: IT'S QUITE HUMBLING.  I don't know quite why I'm the one who will train (because there are definitely more experienced sister missionaries than me!), but if it's what the Lord wants, I'll run with it.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But what about dear Sister Danielsen? Well....SHE IS GOING TO BE A PIONEER AND BE THE FIRST SISTER MISSIONARY TO EVER SERVE IN TRINIDAD.  EVER!!!!! SHE'S MAKING HISTORY!  Her companion will be Sister Weaver, who (whom?) was in my MTC district.

When I found out that I would be training again, I asked Sister Danielsen what she thought I could improve on or do differently as a trainer.  She looked inquisitive for a moment, looked at me, and said, thoughtfully, "Teach them how to use the shower.  Because I didn't know how for my entire first transfer, so I was taking cold showers."  Duly noted.

Since my little companion doesn't come from the MTC until next Wednesday, we won't be transferring until then (everyone else transferred today).  Gloriously, this means that Sister Danielsen and I get to spend another week together.  Oh my goodness, I am going to miss this companion of mine.  A lot.

Anyways, I am sure you all are wondering how things are going down here.  Or maybe not.  REGARDLESS, let me tell you!

Sister Danielsen and I have been working with a less active member named Louis.  When I was in my first transfer, I did not like working with less actives, AT ALL.  I found it frustrating, and I had little patience for it.  However, as we've taught Brother Louis, I've come to enjoy working with returning members.  We had a lesson with him a few weeks back where we were going over the first part of the Plan of Salvation.  We read 2 Nephi 2:22 with him and were about to go over what the Fall meant.  BUT, he stopped us.  "Wait. Wait."  He paused.  "The same state?  So that means they wouldn't have had any children?  Woah.  I never thought of it like that before."  He figured it out and we didn't even have to explain it to him!  So, on Monday, we watched the latest version of the Prophet of the Restoration ( the one narrated by Lucy Mack Smith - if you haven't seen it, watch it.  'Tis good!)  We asked Louis what he thought of it after he watched it.  He said, "You know, I didn't know that Joseph Smith had gone through all of those things.  But he didn't give up.  And that makes me want to not give up."  It was just...such a beautiful moment.

My birthday was spent just like a normal missionary day.  We had been up in Castries (which is about an hour away) for our Zone Meeting.  Sister Danielsen was kind enough to make me a chocolate cake with Rainbow Chip frosting!! (am I 22, or 12?).  Elder Meredith made me meatballs (with potatoes and plantains mixed in...SO GOOD), AND, he gave me the pair of pants I wore at the talent show, since he's just going to buy new pants in Guyana (where he's been transferred to)  Ahaha, I was so happy.  New Year's was also good!  The only thing we did for it was set an alarm at midnight, haha.

On Saturday, Sister Danielsen and I went to visit one of investigators.  He was sleeping, but his wife, daughter, and his daughter's husband were there.  We talked with them for just a little bit.  The daughter and husband were visiting from Switzerland (JeanMarie, you should go find them!).  As we were talking, we found out that the husband is an atheist (and we all know that I love atheists).  We talked about eternal families and how religion is more than just church - it is how we live our lives.  Even though I know we probably won't be seeing them again, I hope it helped them.

This week, Sister Danielsen and I are working on helping our investigators PRAY to know the TRUTHFULNESS of the MESSAGE that we share.  We ran into Brother Raymond last week in Laborie - he was riding his bike.  And I saw on the back of his bike that he had the BOOK OF MORMON WITH HIM.  He carries it around with him, but he won't pray about it.  We're working with another investigator who is Muslim.  She loves the Book of Mormon and the Restoration tract, but she won't pray about it.  I surmise it's because she knows the answer that she'll get.

Family, I love you.  I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's.

Love,

Sister Rachel Brisson

PS - Emily Heath, thank you for the birthday wishes!  Happy Birthday to you as well!  I hope 22 treats you swell!
PPS - Diane!  Haha, I wondered what happened to you!  I'm going to send you a letter next week!
PPPS - Diana!  I still need your new mailing address, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment