Monday, January 30, 2012

Muy ca parle Patwa too-sell (I only speak Patwa). Muy ca cweneon (I'm just fooling).

BONJOUR MA FAMILLE!

So, one of the very first things I told Sister Dayton when the transfer started was this:

"Missionary work is the Lord's work - but it is also an awkward work."

She didn't agree with me, saying that all we had to do was not be awkward and that we would get blessings, or something like that. I told her to wait, and she would see what I meant.

And this past Saturday, she did.

So, we went to go Joanna on Saturday night, around 7 PM. In Saint Lucia, it is pitch black by about 6 PM, 6:30. We go up to Joanna's house and there is a drooping electrical wire in front of her house (which at the time we thought was a clothesline). Undeterred, we go up to the house and we can see in her front room, watching television. Joanna is hard of hearing, so we call out "GOOD NIGHT!" as LOUD as we can, but she can't hear us. Note: we are standing outside in the dark. So, Sister Dayton goes up to the door and knocks. Joanna still doesn't hear us. Sister Dayton knocks LOUDER, and then Joanna's cat jumps up and runs over to the door. Joanna gets up and goes to the door, looks through the window RIGHT at Sister Dayton, and then sits back down! Sister Dayton calls out again and is like "JOANNA!" So, we stand there in the dark for a few seconds, trying to figure out what to do. Sister Dayton then said, "I feel....creepy." And I replied, "and now we see that missionary work is an awkward work."

This week had many many BLESSINGS! Our member work has SPIKED! When we got the mission vehicle, I was a little disgruntled about it, thinking that if it helped our member work, I would love it - but if it stayed the same, I wouldn't like having it. WELLLLL, the car has enabled us to start taking out SISTER BAPTIST. Sister Baptist is seriously one of the coolest people I've ever met. Whenever we're about to leave to take her with us, she says, "Let's go, buddy!" She has such a strong testimony and is willing to come out with us ANY TIME during the day, which is a huge blessing. Family, we used to struggle to get three member lessons in a week. This past week...we had eleven! AHHHHHHHH! Sister Dayton and I are pushing ourselves this week to involve the members even more. Seriously, having the mission vehicle is such a blessing - though I do miss walking every where and taking the bus, since we always contacted people while travelling to our areas.

As you can see by the title, I've been learning Patwa (also known as Creole). I love speaking it! Pretty much, I just ask people how to say things and write it in my planner. It's funny though - NO ONE agrees on the pronunciation and since it's not really a written language, you just have to ask and see which one people agree on the most! Now, when we pass someone, I say "BON SOIR!" and they laugh really hard and reply, "Es ou ca parle Patwa?" (you speak Patwa?) and I say, "oui. Muy ca parle Patwa too-sell" (Yes. I speak Patwa only). Every one laughs SO HARD when I say it - no joke.

In other news, JOSE HAS A BAPTISMAL DATE!!!!! YES YES YES YES YES. He is working so hard to keep the Sabbath day holy. At church this week, we learned about Nephi's example of saying "I WILL" instead of "I'll try." We had a lesson with Jose after Church, and he was like "Yes, I WILL come to church every week." We taught him about the Word of Wisdom and he was like "Alright." I am so excited for him!

Anyways, I'm plum out of time. I love you all so much. Thank you so much for your support. I know this gospel is true. I know that Jesus Christ lives!

Love,

Sister Rachel Brisson

So, I didn't have time to read everything in my inbox, so post scripts next week. BUT! I mailed letters to Diana, Diane, Sister Fish, Sister Sims, and Laura Murray on Thursday. Diana, I sent it to the FLSR! NOOOO!

CURRENT ADDRESS INFO:

You can email me at rachel.brisson@myldsmail.net (because I can receive but cannot respond to your emails, please include your mailing address so I can write you back!). You can also continuing using www.DearElder.com for the cost of a stamp, or you can write me at the mission office address:

Sister Rachel Anne Brisson
West Indies Mission
PO Bag 543
Valsayn
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago

So, you asked for my new address. Here it is, but be aware that letters can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get here. Please write me emails - I can print them out, so it doesn't eat into my internet time at all. If you want to use it, here it is:

PO Box 923
Gablewoods Mall South
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia 00124

You can also send packages to this address, but it's the same deal. DHL and FedEx are the fastest, but you have to have a number. Since this goes up on the blog, I'll send the number to Marcia, and you can ask her for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment