Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I have a glasses tan. Don't be jealous.

Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Hello Family!

There is one thing I've neglected to mention in my emails since I arrived in St. Lucia.  So, I will talk about it now:


Saint Lucia is Jurassic Park.


Yesterday, Sister Dayton and I were about to leave for church, when I went to put on my shoes.  My brown shoe looked a little strange, so I thought part of the inside of it had just ripped the last time I'd worn it.  BUT OH NO, I was wrong.  Take a look at the picture (sorry it's blurry!)

 

We also have this little frog (and I mean LITTLE, he's like the size of the end of my finger) who comes into our apartment EVERY NIGHT and hangs out by our sink.  Why he does so, I can't quite be sure.  But he is there every night, by the water filter.


This past week has been...hard!  Because of transfers and zone conference, I've heard how the sisters are doing on the other islands.  Apparently, they're finding A LOT of success, and their areas are flourishing.  Ah, I was so happy to hear about how everything is going for them.  However, it also made feel a little depressed.  I've been here for 4 1/2 months, and none of our investigators has progressed beyond coming to church a few times.  And I blame myself for that.  Whenever we've had to drop someone, I always think "how could I have taught them differently so that they would have accepted the gospel?"  Or, I know that there are people who are prepared to hear the gospel, but perhaps I'm the one who hasn't been able to find them.  What if I had contacted just one more person, or tracted into one more house, or asked for just one more referral....AHHHHHH.  So, that's how I've been feeling this past week.  And the Lord knew, and He blessed us in many ways!


First, let's talk about JOSE.  I mentioned him in a previous email.  Jose is from Venezuela.  Sister Fraser and I taught him towards the end of my first transfer, and we've worked with him since them.  We got him a Book of Mormon in Spanish, and HE LOVES IT.  He reads it in between working.  He had come to Church a few times, but Sister Dayton and I wanted it to be a consistent thing.  We taught him the Sabbath day, and I was a little worried that he might have some reservations about it, since his restaurant is open all week.  We taught it to him and he almost automatically said, "Alright, I'm taking my day off on Sunday.  I used to take it on Monday."  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  I just started GRINNING.  And was he at Church on Sunday?  YES HE WAS.  He marked what chapters to read in the Book of Mormon for Sunday School next week.  YES!




The Lord also blessed us with...JOANNA!  Joanna is a woman that Sister Danielsen and I had taught once, but hadn't been able to go back and visit.  We stopped by this week, and she was excited to see us.  Even though it had been a month since we'd seen her, she remembered what we had told her about Joseph Smith.  She is hard of hearing, so we all take turns reading parts of the teaching tracts, then discuss and see if she has any questions.  We taught her the Plan of Salvation, and she asked us, "So, I was baptized into a Pentecostal church, but I guess I'd have to be baptized again, right?"  And we were like, "As a matter of fact..."  She also asked us about the Spirit World and what happens there, and she said, "Well, I don't want to be unhappy!"  We invited her to be baptized and she said, "I'm going to pray about it and yeah, if God tells me, of course."  YES, EXACTLY!  It's also cool because Sister Dayton has a lot of experience talking to people who are hard of hearing because she used to work in a nursing home, which is SO HELPFUL.


The Lord ALSO blessed us with Church this Sunday!  On Sunday, EIGHT RETURNING MEMBERS CAME TO CHURCH.  That is the highest I've ever seen!  I was so happy to be sitting in that sacrament meeting.  So, so happy.


Lastly, we've been trying to get our member work up.  On Sunday, a member told us three times that she wants to come out with us whenever we're working and to tell her when we want her to come.  BLESSINGS!


I love Saint Lucia, and I love that I have the opportunity to share the gospel here.  I know that   Jesus is the Christ.


Out of time!


Love,


Sister Brisson


Now for some belated shout outs:


Lauren Trout - I started laughing SO HARD in the middle of the internet cafe when I saw that picture of you as Lava Lauren!  Definitely printed that out.


Colette!  Thank you for the life updates!  A few of them have made me QUITE CURIOUS and I would love more information on them.  I'm glad you're doing well!


Diana!!!  Send me your personal statement!  I want to read it!  GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR APPLICATION!


Stefani!  Thank you for the belated pictures!  She is so cute!  Remind me - where are you living right now?


Delia!  Thank you so much for your email!  It brought such a smile to my face!  I would love to write you a letter back - if you send me your mailing address I'll send you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment