Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saint Luciaaaaa!

Family & Friends!

Ah! So many things to tell you! Happy Birthday to Dad, Spencer, and Luke!

First off, I have been assigned to serve in Vieux Fort, Saint Lucia. It's the southern-most part of the island. The area has been split between us and the Elders. We have the eastern half, containing Contonement, Laborie, and Saltibus, while the Elders have Vieux Fort proper. This area has never had sisters before!

As I believe I said in my last email, my companion is Sister Fraser. She is from Georgetown, Guyana, and this is her last transfer. We laugh ALL the time. She has been very patient with me, and she's fabulous. The elders in our branch are Elder Austin and Elder Jensen, both from Utah. They are quite kind and have been so helpful with showing us the area. The senior couple here is Elder Gibson and Sister Gibson from Alamosa, Colorado, who have also been so willing to help us.

Because this area has never had sisters before, we are working on getting our footing here. We've been working with the branch to see where we could be of most use. They only have a few young women here, just like all my teen years. This week, we're going to go visit the less active sisters. So far, we have taught a few lessons, and we've done tons of tracting. It seems to me that people have heard of the Church, but haven't heard any real details about it. I cannot wait to start teaching this week!

I wish I could write to you in more detail about my final week at the MTC. It was so wonderful, and I miss it. There is one thing I will tell you about - ELDER HOLLAND GAVE THE TUESDAY DEVOTIONAL. At the beginning of his talk, he said he had a few introductory things he wanted to tell us about - which took up about 30 minutes! He said that essentially all the missionary work of all time is being done NOW. Every ancient prophet saw our day, and they had a lack of success so WE could have success; we are what they dreamed of. He said that missionaries are the closest image of this dispensation, so we have absolutely no right to damage that image. Missionaries who go inactive make him mad. People have the right to think missionaries are perfect. He was so choked up - he kept pounding on the pulpit. Then, he moved on to Q&A, where he said that missionaries are the most similar to what he does as an Apostle.

I'm almost out of time! I love you all so much! As Elder Holland said, we are among the most prayed for people on the planet, and I'm definitely feeling that here. I've attached pictures and wish I had time to caption them all!

LOVE,

Sister Rachel Brisson

Time for some post scripts!

Diane! Thank you for forwarding me Liz's emails! And thank you for your emails! I'm working on writing you back!

Diana! You didn't send me YOUR address. How can I write you back, hm?? Email it to me soon!

Elder Larson and Elder Harless! Thank you for emailing me! It turns out I can only email my family - but I'm writing you back, don't worry!

Jessica Read,JeanMarie and Anna Peterson! I also thank you for your DearElders! Also writing you back!

I think that's all for now!

CURRENT ADDRESS INFO:

I have officially left the MTC, so you can email me at rachel.brisson@myldsmail.net (because I can receive but cannot respond to your emails, please include your mailing address so I can write you back!). You can also continuing using www.DearElder.com for the cost of a stamp, or you can write me at the mission office address:

Sister Rachel Anne Brisson

West Indies Mission

PO Bag 543

Valsayn

Trinidad

Trinidad and Tobago

Packages are difficult and expensive to receive but if you need it, here is the address for packages:

Sister Rachel Anne Brisson

West Indies Mission

PO Bag 543

Valsayn

Trinidad

Trinidad and Tobago

No comments:

Post a Comment